CCS, Seismikk og PGS

strak_motbakke
PGS 06.06.2022 kl 19:35 2576

Jeg tenkte det kan være av interesse å dele noe fra en privat presentasjon og diverse notater som kan belyse deler av CCS som jeg sjeldent ser blir satt i lys på forumet. All info er originalt skrevet på engelsk, så noen ord og uttrykk kan ha blitt litt dårlig oversatt. Se første svar på hovedinnlegget.

Uttalelser fra diverse forskjellige kilder:

“An estimate by the IEA state that to meet the Paris agreement goals, an additional investment of USD 9.7 trillion, by 2050 would be required in CCUS deployment, this is almost 3.4 times the size of India's GDP. However, the cost of not implementing it (climate change-related disasters) far eclipses this value. Between 2000 and 2019, the global economy incurred a loss of USD 4.78 trillion. The last decade (2010-2019) saw the highest loss at USD 2.98 trillion. There was an increase of USD 1.1 trillion in one decade. If we project from here, assuming no increase in decadal losses, the number stands at USD 13.72 trillion by 2050. If an increase of USD 1.1 trillion is factored in per decade, the losses stand at USD 17.02 trillion by 2050. In economic terms, an investment of USD 9.7 trillion to tackle a loss of USD 17.02 trillion seems feasible in the current context.”

“The present-day concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is responsible for 26% of global warming. On the other hand, the global energy demand is predicted to double by 2030 with the majority of it being met with fossil fuel sources, because of their low-cost and the existing infrastructures.”

“CCS can decrease the carbon footprint of fuels by ∼ 90%”

“ExxonMobil estimates $4 trillion CCS market by 2050”

“Around 2000 CCS plants are required to meet the IPCC targets decided in the Paris Summit “

“3.3 Gt of CO2 must be stored each year by 2060, and 1’200 Gt cumulative stored in 2100. It means a CCS deployment rate of more than double of that of the growth of the oil industry during the last century”

“This means that approximately 0.61 billion tonnes (Gt) per annum of CO2 will need to be injected by 2030 and by 2050 that increases to 4 Gt of CO2 injected per annum. This equates to approximately 400 deepC Store projects, and 2,700 deepC Store projects, respectively.”

"The chances of getting to gigaton scale go down dramatically if we don't start this decade."

"Before 2018, the amount of money going to these projects in the US was miniscule -- about $11 million per year. The $3.5 billion Congress recently passed for carbon removal, as part of the bipartisan infrastructure law, is a significant increase in funding."
Redigert 06.06.2022 kl 19:37 Du må logge inn for å svare
strak_motbakke
06.06.2022 kl 19:35 2576

Verden er i en super syklus hvor behovet for energi er større enn noen gang tidligere grunnet 8 år med olje- og gass underinvesteringer, samt et økt fokus på løsrivning fra Russland. Dette har medført en revidering av behovet for olje- og gass i flere år fremover og en økende igangsetting av kullkraftverk. Et resultat av dette er økende utslipp av CO2 på nivåer høyere enn tidligere antatt. For å nå klimamålene, er den beste og mest populære løsningen å fange CO2 fra karbon-tunge industrier, og injisere det i bakken for permanent lagring (CCS). Ifølge FN er CCS en av de 4 pilarene for å nå klimamålene, og det er umulig å nå net-zero karbon utslipp uten å investere tungt i dette feltet de neste årene. Dette har allerede blitt reflektert i diverse artikler som spår CCS som et trillion dollar marked fremover. Det er ingen tvil om at CCS er en del av fremtiden, og at vi vil se en utrolig vekst av nye prosjekter, samt store summer med penger bli investert i årene fremover.

Seismikk har mange viktige roller i profitabel og sikker drifting av CCS. I første fase kreves seismikk for å finne mulige lagrings steder, og det er antatt at vi må utforske (exploration) og utvinne 30-60 nye CCS lagre hvert år fram til 2050. Store Multi-Client biblioteker vil kunne bli utrolig verdifullt for et slikt formål! Når et mulig CO2 lager er identifisert, må den karakteriseres for å samle høykvalitets data som CO2 kapasitet, maks injeseringshastighet, m.m.. Et dårlig CO2 lager vil kunne være over 10 ganger så dyrt enn et godt lager, og det gjør seismikk datainnhenting til et av de viktigste leddene i profitabel CCS. I fase 2 blir CO2 injisert i lageret og høykvalitets seismikk kreves for monitorering av prosessen for å signifikant redusere risikoen og optimalisere injiseringshastigheten. Injisering av CO2 skjer vanligvis med jevne mellomrom, så dette er en jobb som krever regelmessig seismikk monitorering gjennom hele CCS lagerets aktive levetid. Når lageret er fullt, eller ikke lengre er i bruk, kreves det monitorering for å hindre CO2 lekkasje. Igjen, kreves det flere år med regelmessig seismikk monitorering.

PGS har vært go-to seismikk selskapet for CCS datainnsamling og har skrevet kontrakt med de største prosjektene; Northern Lights og Endurance, samt har en LOI med DeepC. Dette gir PGS mer erfaring innen CCS enn noen andre seismikkselskap. Videre har PGS skaffet seg P-cables teknologien som er egnet for rask innhenting av data som er ekstremt detaljert og med ultra-høy oppløsning. Som nevnt flere ganger på forumet, eier PGS de beste seismikk-båtene på markedet som gir rask og kostnadseffektiv datainnhenting som blir en av de viktigste faktorene når CCS skaleres opp fremover.

I årene som kommer vil CCS vokse utrolig mye som en av de mest effektive løsningene for å nå klimamålene, og allerede fra 2024 begynner de første store CCS prosjektene med kommersiell drifting som vil gjenspeiles i stor økning av seismikk etterspørsel. Dette er i en tid hvor vi forventer å se en pågang av oljerelatert seismikk på linje med den vi så i 2014, og i en tid hvor det er mye færre seismikk båter på havet enn hva det var den gangen. Her får vi tidenes “bottleneck” med mange av verdens største selskaper og markeder som vil trenge seismikk, og det kan bli mange ganger så høy etterspørsel på seismikk enn hva det var i 2014. Dette vil dytte ratene til nivåer vi aldri har sett noensinne!
strak_motbakke
06.06.2022 kl 19:35 2568

Liten del av en CCS beskrivelse jeg ikke har oversatt:

Carbon Capture, utilization, and storage (CCUS) is the method of capturing CO2 directly from the air, or from high CO2 emissive industries, and use it in other industries or storing it permanently in the ground. The techniques of capturing CO2 are vast and greatly evolving with a focus on net-zero carbon emissions. Some of the methods involve the capture of CO2 through a semipermeable membrane, chemical capture, gas hydration and more. Utilizing the captured CO2 in new products creates a negative feedback loop re-emitting it back into the atmosphere, so the currently more popular approach is to permanently store it underground (CCS).

There are several different storage sites that can be used for CCS, however, only 4 of them are commercially used due to cost effectiveness. The storage sites are on- and offshore Depleted Oil and Gas Fields (DOGF) and on- and offshore Saline Aquifer (SA). DOGF are as described depleted oil wells, and SAs are storage sites filled with saline waters that can be depleted and filled with CO2.

A major concern with CCS is the high costs, and minor economic incentive. As a result, cost reduction has been the primary driving force in deciding the direction of CCS, and it can be achieved by carefully deciding the applied storage site by seismic data acquisition. The most cost-effective CCS is dependent on the storage sediment and the size of the site. While DOGF tends to be overall cheaper, SAs can be more cost effective if the size is significantly larger than the DOGF site. Another major concern with CCS is leakage while filling the well and after it has been filled. This issue can be addressed and significantly reduced by utilizing seismic monitorization of the CO2 injection and at regular intervals after the injection has completed.
strak_motbakke
06.06.2022 kl 19:36 2563

Blant mange av dagens CCS prosjekter er dette noen av de større det er verdt å få med seg. Men ikke ta det feil, det er allerede mange, mange andre CCS prosjekter som er igangsatt verden over. Igjen, her har jeg ikke oversatt innholdet:

There are several ongoing CCS projects in development today that span across several countries like the USA, Japan, Australia, India, China, UK, Norway and plenty more. In the forefront of the offshore CCS market, we have projects like Northern Lights (Equinor, Norway), Endurance (BP, Equinor, National Grid Ventures, Shell and Total Energies, UK), DeepC (Australia), Pale Blue Dot (UK), HyNet (UK), Porthos (Netherlands) and Greensand (Denmark).

Northern Lights is the pioneering CCS project with 20+ years of CCS experience from Equinor and will become the first ever cross-border open-sourced CO2 transportation and storage facility. Their aim is for companies all over Europe to ship their captured CO2 to a storage facility in Norway (Øygarden) and accumulate it in an onshore storage facility. While closely monitored by seismic vessels, the CO2 will be injected into a massive Saline Aquifer. In 2022 it is set out to do a drilling campaign and design of 4D seismic base-line acquisition to assess risk, create a well design concept and acquire data. The goal is to be commercially operational by 2024 with the aim of storing 1.5mt CO2 per year and increasing it to 5mt CO2 per year by 2026.

Northern Endurance Partnership (NEP) consists of some of the largest oil companies in the world; BP, Equinor, National Grid Ventures, Shell, and Total Energies. The project aims to decarbonize large centers of industry around the River Tees near Middlesbrough and further south around the Humber estuary. If successful, it could help decarbonize nearly 50% of the UK’s industrial emissions and store it in a massive Saline Aquifer (Endurance) with a CO2 storage capacity of 450m - 1b ton! Between 2026 and 2030 they will aim to inject 4mt to 10mt CO2, reaching net zero carbon emissions by 2030. From mid 2030, the goal is to capture at least 27 tons (!!) of CO2 each year.

DeepC aims to be one of the largest commercial multihub CCS facilities in the world with a capacity to store 1.5 - 7.5mt of CO2 per year from Australia and the Asia Pacific’s regions. The project has good support from the Australian government and is rapidly evolving.

HyNet and Pale Blue Dot are other CCS projects in the UK that aim to be operational by late 2024 or early 2025. HyNet can store 4.5mt CO2 per year but this can extend to 10mt per year by 2030.

Porthos in the Netherlands commits to injecting 2.5mt CO2 per year for 15 years. It aims to be operational from 2024/2025, and complete the final investment decision in the second half of 2022. With the final investment decision being made, the construction of infrastructure will commence.

Greensand is a Danish project that will have an anticipated full-scale development in the second half of 2023 and be operational around 2025. It can initially store 4mt CO2 annually and increase it to 8mt by 2030.
strak_motbakke
06.06.2022 kl 19:36 2561

Placeholder
Humlesnurr
08.06.2022 kl 13:22 1874

Fra DN
Tre selskaper vil lagre CO2 i Nordsjøen
Olje- og energidepartementet (OED) har mottatt søknader fra CapeOmega, TotalEnergies og Wintershall Dea som ønsker å bli tildelt areal for mulig fremtidig lagring av CO2 på norsk kontinentalsokkel.

Det fremgår av en melding fra departementet onsdag.

Området ligger i Nordsjøen og ble utlyst 8. april i henhold til lagringsforskriften. Departementet vil behandle de innkomne søknadene og tar sikte på å tildele areal etter lagringsforskriften i løpet av andre halvår 2022.

-Selskaper som har evne og vilje, og har modnet fram gode prosjekter som inkluderer lagring av CO2, vil kunne søke om lagringstillatelse. Jeg mottar gjerne flere forespørsler om å utlyse ytterligere areal for CO2-lagring, sier olje- og energiminister Terje Aasland.

Dette er tredje gang det lyses ut areal til lagring av CO2 på norsk sokkel
strak_motbakke
08.06.2022 kl 15:26 1564

Fantastisk! Det er klart som dagen at CCS kommer til å bli det nye store, og det skjer mye raskere enn folk flest tror. Dette blir en gullgruve for seismikken, så her gjelder det å posisjonere seg riktig!