John Bolton says he is prepared to testify in Senate trial

Slettet bruker
TRUMP 06.01.2020 kl 18:44 202

Former White House national security adviser John Bolton said Monday he is willing to testify — if he is subpoenaed — in the Senate's impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.
Bolton issued a statement after the courts did not rule whether he would be compelled to testify during the House's impeachment proceedings. The House never subpoenaed Bolton and Democrats withdrew their subpoena for his former deputy after it was challenged in court -- as Democrats wanted to move forward with their impeachment probe and not wait for the court's decision.
"Accordingly, since my testimony is once again at issue, I have had to resolve the serious competing issues as best I could, based on careful consideration and study," Bolton said in a statement. "I have concluded that, if the Senate issues a subpoena for my testimony, I am prepared to testify."

Bolton's statement is likely to put new pressures from Democrats on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to allow witnesses in the Senate trial, which Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and Democratic House leaders have pushed for.
So far, McConnell has resisted Schumer's calls to have witnesses in the Senate trial, instead calling for an agreement on the rules of the Senate trial that would put off the question of witnesses until later on.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/06/politics/john-bolton-testify-impeachment-subpoena/index.html
Slettet bruker
06.01.2020 kl 22:39 183

Big news.